Friday, May 23, 2014

Fashion 101

This was an introduction lesson to fashion designing that we did with our 5th graders.  My teaching partner, Mrs. Findeisen, has done this lesson for years with the 5th graders.  I'll be honest, I was truly nervous about doing this lesson.  While I've done plenty of portraits before, I know nothing about fashion, believe me, I'm no Cassie Stevens!  Well, about 6 weeks into this lesson and many students still didn't have their croquis done, (I learned that a croquis is a rough sketch of a fashion model in various poses).








 I think that between being overwhelmed with creating a person in correct proportions and coming up with a fashion concept,t felt a little overwhelming to many.  I was overwhelmed.  You can see writing off to the side on some of the images.  She took the time to write about their progress to encourage them to keep going.




 In the beginning she showed each of the classes a youtube video of a fashion show from UT (clean, didn't have to worry about content here).  A word of advice, if you are searching fashion shows on youtube, finding appropriate material is very difficult!  After a while, I figured they just needed something to inspire them to finish these.  So I did find some great resources on youtube that seemed to do just the trick.








Here are a couple short videos that I found to be very helpful and the kids enjoyed watching.


This video is a bit longer, but I decided to show parts of it (it is a little long, so I fast forward through some parts).  Although this individual is not a perfesionnal, I loved that
she is very dedicated to has posted dozens of videos on fashion designing.  A great example of working hard to achieve a professional goal later on, very inspiring!



No comments:

Post a Comment

http://pinterest.com/pruitts/elementary-art-education/