OK, this was kind of a hit and miss projects, I had some turn out really great, some good pieces, and then some that really struggled with this project. I did this one with second grade, and if I did it all over again, I would try with third or fourth graders. It was just hard for some kids, drawing big, not mixing colors, don't detail before you get a couple coats, don't paint the whole paper... This class is pretty mature for second grade, so I wanted to challenge them. Some definitely did beautiful work, but hard to manage with large class size. I'll try in a couple years with third grade. However, here are a few that successfully completed their project.
This lesson stretched over about 5 weeks, way too long, and many are still not done. We have taken a break for now and we will revisit our unfinished work in May.
These are painted with fluorescent tempera paint and outlined with black sharpie.